Sunday, August 16, 2015

Life is Pee-autiful!


Hey guys!

Fun fact of the day: a newborn pees about every 20 minutes while a 6-month toddler pees roughly every hour. (http://facts.randomhistory.com/baby-facts.html) 

You may be wondering why I have chosen to talk about babies and peeing - wonder no more: I felt like it!

Having recently come back to Puerto Rico, I have been asked to help out with a baby and an elderly woman. The age gap allows for a pretty obvious contrast, however it surprised me how similar they can also be.

For example they both pee – A LOT. But Frances! Not everyone is the same! True… I guess I really shouldn’t generalize seeing as I have only two subjects to base this on. But then again, I guess I can say I will only base this post on these two subjects – problem solved!

Now where was I again? Oh yes, peeing.

I find it fascinating (I’m weird I know) how pee and babies relate. Like, how can they be completely comfortable peeing in a diaper while walking? Or how can they pee in front of anyone and everyone? Or how come they don’t care if it stinks, stains or leaks at all?  Honestly, there are no fudges given by babies when they pee. None whatsoever – and don’t even get me started on pooping.

On the other hand, the elderly (and even adults) see peeing as a social torture. Why do I have to pee again? Didn’t I just pee an hour ago? What will my friends think if I say I have to go to the restroom again? Omg... they want to come with me, but like, what if it stinks? And that’s only when you can do it by yourself- imagine having people help you do something you have been able to do for years! It’s embarrassing.

Wait! Hear me out.

I’m not saying that needing help is embarrassing but, as a person who has been in that situation before, the experience makes you feel weak, incapable and shameful.

But, why?

I’m not really certified to give a professional opinion, so instead, I am just going to give a personal opinion.

Somewhere along the way someone (I don’t know who but it sure wasn’t Peter Pan) told us to grow up and fend for ourselves. There was no manual or guide to help us, there was just a curt “grow up” command. So we did. We learned to walk, run, dance, get money, pay bills, find a mate, grow a family, and build a legacy. Then we forgot about how at some point in our life we would be caught in what I like to call the “Benjamin Button Effect.” This well-known phenomenon consists of feeling/becoming a child again (be it physically, emotionally, psychologically or socially). Our society often associates children with dependence, thus when we feel/become dependent on others we feel like children. Simple, right?

This explains why the elderly woman feels ashamed to tell me she needs to pee.

This explains why she refuses to let me help her clean up.

This explains why she looks away when it becomes inevitable for her to do it on her own and needs to ask for my help.

But the thing is that I don’t find it shameful or weak at all. In fact, I’m happy to do it because: 1. It is natural for our bodies to release waste, 2. I’ve been in that situation before, 3. She did it for me when I needed it and 4. She is my grandma and I love her very much.

Yeah, I’m obviously not going to lie and say it has all been peachy and rosy, but helping my nephew and my grandma has taught me that we all need help at some point. Maybe we won’t become dependent again or maybe we do, but that is ok. It doesn’t make us children – it makes us human.

So, remember! If babies don’t give a fudge – why should you? If you need to pee 24 times a day: be a baby and *Shia’s voice* Just Do It! If you need help peeing or doing anything else you have been able to do by yourself for years but are too afraid to ask: be a baby and *Shia’s voice* Just Do It!

Lol worst comes to worst, if you need help, just know I'm right here :)

zozo

Frances aka Fez aka Su Majestad

[Photo by David D License CC. Some Rights Reserved]

No comments:

Post a Comment